Wedding Storyteller, Volume 1
Wedding Storyteller, Volume 1
Elevating the Approach to Photographing Wedding Stories
384 pages | Soft Cover – with flaps, 8 x 10 in.
Print and eBook Bundle: $59.99
Print Book: $49.95
In Wedding Storyteller, Volume 1: Elevating the Approach to Photographing Wedding Stories, photographer and educator Roberto Valenzuela delivers what so many of his readers have been asking for: a book specifically dedicated to helping photographers improve their wedding photography. A wedding photographer himself, Roberto built his business from the ground up based on high-quality imagery that tells a compelling and beautiful story for his clients’ most important day.
This is not a standard wedding photography book. In Wedding Storyteller, you will not find a collection of “looks,” which neither inspire nor teach you anything. You will also not find a wedding shot list—at least not in the traditional sense. Instead, Wedding Storyteller goes beyond the superficial and dives deeply into the truly important topics, themes, and subject matter you need to learn about in order to drastically elevate your wedding photography. Most importantly, Roberto stresses the crucial role that storytelling plays in creating compelling, meaningful, and unique photographs for your clients.
Roberto has already achieved enormous success with his Picture Perfect book series: Picture Perfect Practice, Picture Perfect Posing, and Picture Perfect Lighting. In those books, Roberto demonstrated his immense and unique talent for developing clear and concise systems that help photographers break through barriers to become better practitioners of their craft.
As in those previous books, here Roberto has created a unique approach that anyone can learn to implement. Roberto’s “wedding storyteller” system is divided into four sections:
•Foundation Components: Location Techniques. In this section, learn how to conquer the locations you encounter as a wedding photographer. Roberto teaches you how to work with light, context, clutter, walls, depth, and other compositional elements such as frames and reflections.
•Foundation Components: People Techniques. Weddings are often high-energy, high-stress environments; your attitude and behavior have a huge impact on your ability to succeed as a photographer. Roberto discusses the crucial “people skills” you need to know and also teaches his unique approach to “situational posing” and group posing.
•Storyteller Approach Components. Here, Roberto addresses how he categorizes his photography on the wedding day, explaining exactly what his thought process is behind the five approaches he uses to build a “wedding story” for his clients. These five approaches are: Photojournalism, Interactive Photojournalism, Stylized Aware Posing, Stylized Unaware Posing, and Story Development.
•Expert Components. The final section builds and expands on everything covered in the previous components, as Roberto addresses such topics as Emotionally Valuable People (EVP), lens choices, helper light, posing patterns (and when to break them), capturing “peak action,” achieving a unique perspective, and creating multi-layered stories within a single photograph.
At a wedding, each and every photograph has a unique opportunity to convey a special moment and to contribute to the rich, visual story of your clients’ most important day. As the photographer, you are both the director and the documentarian of that story. With Wedding Storyteller by your side, you finally have a book that teaches you the skills you need to learn in order to create amazing images and craft masterful stories filled with beauty, emotion, and meaning.
- Table of Contents
- WEDDING STORYTELLER
- Table of Contents
- PART 1: BECOMING A WEDDING STORYTELLER
- Chapter 1: A Very Difficult and Risky Decision
- Chapter 2: Overview of the Wedding Storyteller Skill Components
- PART 2: FOUNDATION COMPONENTS: LOCATION TECHNIQUES
- Chapter 3: Circumstantial Light
- Chapter 4: Showing or Removing Context and Clutter
- Chapter 5: Depth and Walls
- Chapter 6: Compositional Elements
- Chapter 7: Luminosity Levels and Contrasts
- PART 3: FOUNDATION COMPONENTS: PEOPLE TECHNIQUES
- Chapter 8: Breaking Down Defensive Barriers
- Chapter 9: Expert Confidence and Trust
- Chapter 10: Being Flexible, Likable, and Professional
- Chapter 11: Situational Approach to Posing
- Chapter 12: Mechanics of Group Posing
- PART 4: STORYTELLER APPROACH COMPONENTS
- Chapter 13: The Storytellers Approach
- PART 5: EXPERT COMPONENTS
- Chapter 14: Storytelling Expert Techniques: Emotionally Valuable People
- Chapter 15: Technical Expert Techniques: Lens Choice and Helper Light
- Chapter 16: Posing and Expression Expert Techniques
- Chapter 17: Composition Expert Techniques
- PART 6: EXECUTION OF THE WEDDING STORYTELLER'S SKILL COMPONENTS
- Chapter 18: Putting It All Together to Become a Master Storyteller